To purchase a pistol, you will need a Permit to Acquire (PTA). You will also need to meet the following conditions before applying for a PTA:
- You have been a member of the club for at least six (6) months
- You have applied for your Category H licence (you don’t need to have your licence. See note below.)
- Know the action and calibre of firearm you are going to acquire (see below)
Follow the steps below to apply for a PTA:
Collect the following information for your club PTA letter:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Date of birth
- Member number
- Category H licence number / OR your Application Reference Number if you have applied for your licence but haven’t received it
- Category H licence expiry date
- Action of the Pistol (i.e. Revolver, Semi-auto)
- Class of Pistol (i.e. A Air pistol; B Centre Fire less than .38; D rimfire pistol)
- Calibre of Pistol
- Approved discipline (i.e. IPSC, ISSF, Metallic Silhouette)
Apply for a club PTA Letter!
Once you have received the club PTA letter, complete your Queensland Police permit to acquire (PTA) application online.
Wait a minimum of 28 days before you receive your PTA
Buy your first Category H firearm
You can submit your Queensland Police Permit to Acquire (PTA) application as soon as you have applied for your Category H licence. Just select “Applicate Case Reference” as your identification type, and include your “Licence Application Case Reference number”. It is not uncommon for your Permit to Acquire to arrive in your mailbox before you receive your Category H licence!
No, you cannot pick up the firearm until you have received your licence.
PLEASE NOTE: Within the first 12 months as a new licensed Category H shooter, you are allowed:
1 x air pistol and either one of the following:
- .22 pistol
- centerfire pistol
You are not required to have an Air Pistol.
Some exceptions apply, refer to QPS website for full conditions.